by Serena Minervini
In Italy the long-awaited decree on “citizenship income” (basic income) has finally been approved. The provision was passed by decree law by the Council of Ministers on 17 January.
Starting from April, therefore, households that are in a situation of economic difficulty and meet the requirements, will benefit from an income supplement up to a maximum of € 780.00 (for the person who lives alone).
The income of citizenship can be requested through an application model prepared by INPS and recognized by the same social security institution, also called to carry out checks and verifications. The economic benefit is provided through a prepaid card of Italian Post and its beneficiaries are extended, also, the subsidies relating to electricity tariffs and those concerning compensation for the supply of natural gas. According to the Government, a website dedicated to this purpose will be present from February (https://www.redditodicittadinanza.gov.it/).
The income of citizenship, at present, is also recognized to foreigners in possession of a regular residence permit and to citizens of an EU Member State.
To maintain the right to income citizenship will need to respect those that the “5 stelle” government has renamed as the “anti-sofa rules” with the preliminary signing of an Employment Pact (or equivalent).
Those who aspire to be recipients of a citizenship income must:
1) be, first of all, in possession of Italian citizenship, or be citizens of an EU Member State. The income of citizenship, at present, is also recognized to foreigners in possession of a regular residence permit;
2) be resident in Italy for at least 10 years (in the last two years without interruption);
3) have an ISEE of less than € 9,360;
4) have real estate assets (in which the residential building is not included) of less than € 30,000;
5) have a family income not exceeding € 6,000. This threshold has increased to € 9,360 if the family unit is rented;
6) have a property under € 6,000, limit raised € 2,000 for each family member following the first (up to a maximum of € 10,000). There is, again, an increase of € 1,000 for each child after the first, and € 5,000 in the presence of a person with disabilities within the family;
In any case, they have no right to citizenship income:
1) households in which a component is in possession of cars or motorcycles registered in the 6 months prior to the request of the RdC, as well as cars with a displacement of more than 1,600 cc and motorcycles greater than 250 cc registered in the last 2 years;
2) family units where a member is in possession of ships and pleasure craft;
3) households where one of the members has been discharged from work, not for a just cause, in the 12 months prior to the time of application;
4) subjects who are in detention for the duration of the sentence.
Citizenship income will not have a fixed amount; in fact, it may vary according to the economic situation of the family that requires it.
Thus, it will be possible to have an integration of up to 6,000 € (yearly) of the family income and, in the presence of several members within the same family, this is multiplied by the corresponding parameter of the equivalence scale, ie:
– + 0.4 for each family member of age after the first;
– + 0.2 for each minor component.
This integration can be increased up to a maximum of 2.1.
The economic benefit, in any case, can not exceed € 9,360 per year, ie € 780 per month and can not be less than € 480 per year.
Finally, within 30 days from the date of access to citizenship income, it will be necessary to sign the Employment Pact at the employment center. This agreement consists of:
a) register with the unit information system of labor policies;
b) carry out active research for a new job;
c) accept to take part in professional training and retraining courses;
d) accept at least one of the three suitable job offers, according to the beneficiary’s subjective requirements. The beneficiaries of citizenship income for over 12 months must accept the first suitable offer of suitable work;
e) become available for projects owned by the Municipality useful for the community, in the cultural, social, artistic, educational, environmental and property protection fields.
On the other hand, those who are adequately trained must sign the labor agreement; the one who, on the other hand, will only need to be updated and trained must sign the Pact for training with bilateral training bodies, interprofessional bodies or companies.